My first ever dabbling in buying on dip during 2022 market downturn turned out to be quiet exciting endeavor

Wow!!! My first ever dabbling in buying on dip during 2022 market downturn turned out to be quiet exciting endeavor. I primarily bought iShares Semiconductor ETF (SOXX). Let me share my experience from this experiment.

Since I don't do market timing in general, I was not sitting on any cash for such buy on low exercise. Rather I used borrowed funds from HELOC at prime minus 1% (3% average APR during last year) rate. I kept buying little bit on dip each time SOXX went down by 8%. As SOXX dropped around 36% last year, I ended up buying for around 80K.

So far, with spectacular recovery of semiconductor sector this year, this experiment has generated almost 20% gain on my investment in it.

My plan is to start selling SOXX slowly as it reaches it's record high in near future and keep selling for each 8% increment thereafter. Idea is to slowly pay off HELOC and then repeat this excercise again during next market correction/crash. 

Glad to see my first buying on dip experiment going smoothly as per plan.

I was wondering as how my gain is 20% when so many of my initial buys were hardly profitable (as it kept going down after my each initial buy) at all. Well, credit goes to magic of dollar cost averaging. I kept my buy dollar amount same, hence was able to buy lot more shares as price kept dropping. After recovery, those bottom buys had highest effect on overall gain.

Here is dollar cost averaging magic in action in one of my accounts. Last buy at lowest point had biggest impact:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How much one needs to save in retirement portfolio to retire comfortably in early sixties age

Why bonds must be always part of our overall portfolio mix

SPDR® S&P Semiconductor ETF (XSD) - Excellent small cap semiconductor index fund